Bird Watching on Skadar Lake
Skadar lake is home to 281 bird species and is an area of international importance. And it is also on worlds list of aquatic habitats of international importance.
The Skadar lake is also known for being the key resting place for birds migrating from northern Europe to Africa and is Europe's largest bird reserve. The lake is known for being the last remaining breeding ground of the endangered Dalmatian Pelican and Pygmy Cormorant.
The lake is a paradise for nature lovers and is recognized by the International Birds Life Authority (IBA) as a key area for wildlife preservation. We recommend morning or pre-sunset hours for the best sightings.
Key words: bird watching tours, Skadar lake bird reserve, Skadar lake boat tours
- up to 5 people 95 €
- 6 to 10 people 130 €
- 11 to 15 people 180 €
Overview of the tour
- Bird watching -The greatest number of species can be seen during the spring months of April, May and June. In winter months can be seen large flocks of migratory birds. Characteristic for autumn is a picture of long chains of birds flying over the lake.
You can see the Dalmatian Pelican (Pelecanus crispus), a symbol of Skadar Lake. It is the largest bird, known for its long beak and a large throat pouch used for catching prey and draining water from the scooped-up contents before swallowing.
- Dodoši village - an ancient fishing village with rich history, located by the Karatuna River. Initially an agricultural settlement, its proximity to the lake soon shifted the focus from agriculture to fishing. The village is peppered with stone houses dating from the XVI century, and is famous for its ambiance and good national food and rakia.
- Back to meeting point.
- Spectacular lake views
- Fauna and flora
- Swimming break
- Old fishing village of Dodoši
- Each guest must purchase a ticket to access the National Park before boarding. The ticket cost (€4 per person) is not included in our price and must be purchased separately. Children under 7 years old are exempt from this charge
- The ticket grants access to the Museum of Animal Species in Vranjina, which is located just a few kilometers from Virpazar
- Cancelation policy: 50% if the service is canceled 7-15 days prior to the start; 100% if canceled 7 or less days before the day of service
What is included
- English-speaking guide
- Life jackets
What is not included
- National snack of priganice with cheese and honey can be prepared for an additional €10 per boat
- Tickets for entry to the Skadar Lake National Park
- Transfers to the meeting point (can be arranged upon request – please add additional note when booking or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org)