Short Skadar Lake Boat Tour
Skadar lake is home to 281 bird species and is an area of international importance. And it is also on worlds list of aquatic habitats of international importance.
The Skadar lake is also known for being the key resting place for birds migrating from northern Europe to Africa and is Europe's largest bird reserve. The lake is known for being the last remaining breeding ground of the endangered Dalmatian Pelican and Pygmy Cormorant.
Take a boat tour to the ruined walls of fortress Grmožur known as "Montenegrin Alcatraz" as it was a former jail in the time of King Nikola. The locals called it "Island of Snakes" but today it is a favorite spot for lovers of nature and wildlife.
Key words: Grmožur village, Skadar lake boat tours, cruises on Skadar lake
- up to 5 people 80 €
- 6 to 10 people 100 €
- 11 to 15 people 140 €
Overview of the tour
- Meeting in Virpazar center.
- Short cruise through the narrow channel leading to the open lake. Enjoy bird sightings on the journey to Grmožur, the closest island to Virpazar.
The fortress was built by the Ottomans in 1843. This small, rocky island served as an exile for political prisoners with only one person known to have escaped the island, giving Grmožur its nickname the Montenegrin Alcatraz. The locals often call this island "Snake Island" since it used to be a haven for snakes! Today you won’t find any prisoners or snakes (thankfully!) only birdwatchers and tourists. It has become a favorite spot for lovers of nature and wildlife.
- Raduš - sightseeing and swimming break.
Raduš is a fishing village located in what’s known as ’the eye’ (the deepest part of the lake), with an estimated depth of 60-100 meters below sea level.
- Back to meeting point.
- Spectacular lake views
- Fauna and flora
- Swimming break
- Grmožur island
- Raduš fishing village
- Each guest must purchase a ticket to access the National Park before boarding. The ticket cost (€4 per person) is not included in our price and must be purchased separately. Children under 7 years old are exempt from this charge
- The ticket grants access to the Museum of Animal Species in Vranjina, which is located just a few kilometres from Virpazar
- Cancelation policy: 50% if the service is canceled 7-15 days prior to the start; 100% if canceled 7 or less days before the day of service
What is included
- English-speaking guide
- Life jackets
What is not included
- National snack of priganice with cheese and honey can be prepared for an additional €10 per boat
- Tickets for entry to the Skadar Lake National Park
- Transfer to Virpazar (can be arranged upon request - please add additional note when booking or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org)