Visit the clearest, most beautiful, wild mountain river in Montenegro – known as the ’Tear of Europe’.
The Tara River Canyon is up to 1,330m deep, making it the deepest canyon in Europe and second deepest in the world, after Colorado. For the most part, it is located in Durmitor National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1980, as a geological, hydrological and biological phenomenon.
Tara is also Europe’s last remaining unpolluted river, allowing adventurers to drink from it freely as they descend its rapids!
An exciting and chill activity, rafting! This activity is perfect for active and curious people, who like to test their abilities.
Overview of the tour
- Meeting usually in the afternoon but we can arrange flexible meet-ups. Enjoy a homemade, traditional dinner on the terrace of the motel overlooking the Đurđevića Tara bridge. Enjoy a restful night sleep at the motel ahead of a busy day of rafting.
- "The early bird catches the worm" – be ready for a bright and early 9am meet outside the Blue River Tara rafting camp. Enjoy a hearty breakfast and meet your skippers at the morning briefing before preparing your equipment for departure (full equipment includes neoprene suits and boots, safety belts and helmets).
You can bring your camera and mobile phone as on every boat there is a safe waterproof bag.
- The adventure begins at 11am with an exciting SUV ride to Brstanovica, the rafting starting point. Rafters put their rowing skills to the test, through the restless Vjernovic, Borovi, Varda, and Čegrlo rapids, before resting in of many of the tranquil plunge pools. The most attractive part of the canyon, from Sljivansko to Šćepan Polje, is abundant with rapids (over 50), wild tributaries, glistening waterfalls, and lush forests whose trees are several hundred years old reaching up to 50m in height.
- We take a break to appreciate the unique landscape and waterfalls, have a photo break and even take a dip in the crystal clear (but cool!) waters.
- We end at 4pm with a well-deserved lunch with traditional Montenegrin cuisine - homemade stew, trout, grilled chicken, lamb, or veal with potatoes, rice and side salads (vegetarian options available) – all washed down with local brandy!
- max capacity 7 boats
- Outstanding natural beauty
- Europe’s deepest canyon
- Adrenalin rush through the rapids
- Waterfall views
- Photo shoot breaks
- Hearty, traditional Montenegrin cuisine
- Participants must bring a swimming suit
- Participants should confirm their height, weight and shoe size ahead of the tour
- Tours may be delayed or cancelled in the event of poor weather conditions
What is included
- Transport to and from pick-up location
- All National Park fees and taxes
- Overnight stay
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Free parking
- Neoprene wetsuit
- Life vest
- Anorak jacket provided for colder weather